Coyotes are known as some of the most adaptable animals and naturally coexist in our environment here in Sugar Land. While most animals are under threat due to habitat loss, coyotes are actually expanding due to their intelligence and ability to adapt.
If you see one in your neighborhood, make sure to do the following:
- Use noise such as air horns or throwing rocks to scare away coyotes
- Do not leave pets unattended in your backyard
- Walk dogs on fixed leashes, not long-range retractable leashes
- Don’t let your cat free-roam. Free-roaming is against city ordinance and unnecessarily exposes your pet to wildlife.
- Keep compost piles covered to prevent scavenging
- Don’t feed wildlife on the ground — keep wild bird seed elevated
For any concerns, please call 311 or 281-275-2900. To learn more about coyotes, visit https://www.sugarlandtx.gov/391/Coyote.