Our dedicated police officers work tirelessly to ensure that Sugar Land stays safe and secure for all. Because of their efforts, Sugar Land is consistently rated as one of the top safest cities in Texas! Here’s the latest on how their efforts continue to protect us day in and day out.
Here’s what we’ve done in the last year:
- In May, SLPD created a unit staffed with one full-time police officer and eight part-time officers aimed to help improve the outcome of mental health calls, as well as assigned additional officers to the FBI Safe Streets and Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearm Task Forces.
- SLPD started a Command Competency Lab, a new and innovative approach to jointly train SLPD and the Sugar Land Fire Department on their response to active violent incidents. This training focuses on collaboration between the two departments in order to save lives.
- The department continues to work with community partners, businesses, and HOAs to ensure the highest level of service for our residents.
By the numbers
- The total number of crimes reported in 2023 compared to 2022 has gone down by 33.5%. (2069 vs. 3111)
- The crime rate is 18.64 as of today, compared to 2022 which is 28.02. The crime rate calculation is the number of crimes (Part 1 UCR/Group A Offenses) per 1,000 people within a jurisdiction. Based on our projection, our crime rate will be even lower than 2022.
- Reports of property crime went down by 41% when comparing 2023 to 2022. Each quarter has seen a downward trend of more than 20%.
- Crimes against people has also been reduced by 22.4% (402 in 2023 vs. 312 in 2023.)
- SLPD has seen a 51% decline in Burglary of Motor Vehicles in 2023 compared to 2022. (507 in 2022 vs 248 in 2023)
- Burglaries have also gone down tremendously from 131 in 2022 to 38 in 2023. (-71% difference.)
- Investigative Clearance rates are 55.4% for crimes against persons, 19.6% for property crimes, and our total clearance rate is 28.3% which is above the state and national average.
As always, we encourage you to remember the following safety tips in order to continue these downward trends and help you, your family, and your neighbors stay safe in our community!
- Remember to lock your doors and windows.
- Keep valuables out of sight in your vehicles.
- Install security systems if possible.
- We encourage everyone to stay vigilant, report suspicious activity, and participate in neighborhood watch programs.